How to update Joomla?
The updates golden rules
- Always doing backup - Backup is additional protection against unsuccessful updates. In case of failure, you will easily restore the page status before updating.
- Never work on the live website - Before you update your live website - check how it was updated on your backup.
- Updates from latest version - Try to keep up with the latest versions. This is always an extra guarantee that everything will go as planned.
Update Joomla from notification info
As soon as you are logged into back-end, you should see a notice that a new Joomla version is available for update. All you need to do is click on the "Update Now".
If you don’t have a notice on Control Panel, you can go to Components > Joomla Update. You will discover here two ways of updating Joomla:
- Download the latest version from the server joomla.org (1)
- Upload the latest Joomla package. (2)
With the second method, you need upload Joomla package and press button “ Upload & Install “.
In the first method, you must click the button “ Install the update”.
As soon as the upgrade is completed, you will see a screen with notice.
Manual Joomla update
- Download Joomla package from https://downloads.joomla.org/
- Extract the download package on your computer
- Via FTP client ( for example Filezilla ) upload files with "replace" option
- Go to your Joomla back-end and fix database (Extensions > Manage > database)
Go to System > Clear Cache and press button “ Delete”.
Your Joomla is up to date!